Human Resources Development
Disaster Risk Reduction begins with Capacity Building
（1）Organizing Conference, Workshops & Trainings on Disaster Risk Reduction
ADRC organizes and conducts various conferences, workshops and trainings for enhancing the human resources capabity of pursuing effective disaster risk management in member countries.
- Workshop on Total Disaster Risk Management (TDRM)*
- Workshop on Flood Risk Management (Viet Nam)
- Workshop on Earthquake Disaster Management (Mongolia, Bangladesh, and Tajikistan)
- Disaster Risk Mangement Training for Local Government Officials (Cambodia, Sri Lanka)
- Urban Search and Rescue Training in Singapore
- Training on Supply Management System (SUMA) in the Philippines
- JICA Seminar on Disaster Management
*ADRC, in cooperaion with UN-OCHA (Kobe), developed the Total Disaster Risk Mangement (TDRM) as an effective and strategic approach for disaster risk reduction, and disseminates the concept to member countries and other countries in Asia. The concept of TDRM centers around two crucila principles.
They are; "involvement of all stakeholders" and "implementation of measures during all phases of disaster," i.e. prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response and rehabilitation/reconstruction. The promotion of TDRM approach to minimize potential impact of natural dissasters is in line with the implementation efforts for achieving sustainable development.
（2）Program for Inviting Visiting Researchers from Member Countries
Each year, ADRC invites four officials in charge of disaster maangement from Member Countries as visiting researchers for a term of about half a year. The researchers are provided with opportunities to discuss challenges for disaster management of each country, enhance understanding of the disaster mangement system, disastser reduction, and international cooperaion in Japan.